The Palgrave Font
The octagonal Mansfield stone font with its elaborately carved wooden cover was donated to the church by Robert Palgrave, architect of the 1868-69 renovations.
The Victorian changes to the church, largely paid for by Everard Bouverie of Delapre Abbey, were a substantial change to the building. They included removal of mostly of the earlier 18th century interiors including the wood panelled walls, high pews and a triple decker pulpit.
The works included masonry repairs and the opening up of the archway into the west tower that had been blocked, to create a store room with a new window in the west wall. The wooden roofs were found to be very decayed and so were renewed throughout the church whilst the walls were stripped of masonry and in places re white washed.
In addition the east window of the chancel, round headed in style, was replaced with a new three light (parts) decorated gothic style window. This was of painted glass depicting Christ the Good Shepherd and St. Peter and St. John to either side. It was paid for by the parishioners in honour of General and Mrs Bouverie. This window was replaced in the 1940s because it was in such bad repair.
The re opening of the church in February 1869 was met with much excitement and was much reported upon in the Northampton newspapers.